Here’s EVERYTHING you need to know about the Eternals characters and their powers. Including who they are and how they might be involved in the MCU moving forward.
List of Eternals characters:
- Gemma Chang as Sersi
- Kit Harington as Black Knight
- Richard Madden as Ikaris
- Angelina Jolie as Thena
- Kumail Nanjiani as Kingo
- Salma Hayek as Ajak
- Lauren Ridloff as Makkari
- Brian Tyree Henry as Phastos
- Lia McHugh as Sprite
- Ma Dong-Seok as Gilgamesh
- Barry Keoghan as Druig
‘Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them [The Eternals] out of the shadows to reunite against mankind’s most ancient enemy, The Deviants.’
What Are Eternals?
Before we look into the Eternals Characters and their powers. Let’s look at who The Eternals actually are:
It first started when Celestials (big god-like beings) came to earth at the dawn of man-kind, they took an ape and experimented on it, changing our natural evolution and creating three new species all related to one another.
The Eternal’s: Described as children of the gods who truly didn’t belong on earth. They’re the Marvel Universe’s version of Greek and Roman gods.
They created a city called Olympus high in the mountains where they developed their powers. A small amount of them lived alongside Human’s in disguise.
The Deviants: Considered failures, destructive and unstable monsters that constantly seek out war. Their genetic codes are unstable, causing random physical characteristic changes in every new child.
The deviants once enslaved humans and took control of the world until the Celestials came back and destroyed most of the Deviants, banishing them to the depths of the oceans, they remained there, creating weapons for destruction.
The Human’s: Went forward and inherited the earth as they were always destined too. The humans (as we know) battled nature and made the earth their home, still unknown of the existence of their cousins: The Eternals and Deviants.
The Main Eternals Characters:
Black Knight: Dane Whitman followed in his uncle’s foot steps and became the Black Knight after inheriting his uncle Nathan’s castle and found his secret notes and inventions.
Instead of becoming a villain like his uncle, Dane decided to become a hero. Dane is a gifted scientist and an expert swordsman while also being talented in martial arts and the knowledge of magic.
Ikaris: About 20,000 years old and one of the most powerful Eternals to exist and the second most powerful on Earth.
- Has powers of immortality, super strength, durability, stamina and regeneration. He’s well known for his ability to fly.
- He can manipulate cosmic energy to use in a variety of forms like shooting energy beams from his eyes.
- He also has low-level psychic abilities so can change atoms to create illusions to disguise and protect himself.
- He also has Cosmic Energy Manipulation, Teleportation and Enhanced Senses.
Sersi: Also existed for many years but considered a more younger Eternal, she lives in New York disguised as any other human being.
- While possessing many of the same powers as her fellow Eternals, Sersi is well known for her Telepathy and Illusions.
- She is able to psychically communicate with others, read their minds, project thoughts and hypnotise weak minds into doing her work.
- Sersi’s illusion’s affect all senses and are indistinguishable from the real thing as well as being extremely skilled at changing molecules and atoms into whatever she wishes.
Thena: Originally born named Azura, later changed to Thena.
- She has the same powers of most Eternals but she’s a polished and very talented warrior. She’s fast and has unmatched Stamina and Agility.
- Thena is also able to use cosmic energy manipulation to produce light, heat and blasts.
Kingo: From a Japanese settlement of Eternals, learned the ways of the Samurai in 16th Century Japan.
- Become a film star in the present day using his skills to portray Samurai’s.
- Kingo has the same powers as the other Eternals but prefers not to use them in battle, instead he fights using only his Samurai skills.
Ajak: Has a special connection to the Celestials and can communicate with them.
- Harnesses all the same powers but specialises in hand to hand combat and very skilled in wrestling.
Makkari: A genius in creating, engineering and designing. A member of the Eternals Technologist Guild, learnt engineering from a young age. Created high speeds transport vehicles.
- While possessing the same powers as the others, Makkari focuses on his speed, making him so fast that he’s able to create cyclones by running in circles, run up walls and even run on water.
- His super-fast speeds need so much energy he’s unable to use a lot of his other powers.
- He also sometimes wears a special helmet and suit to cope with the high velocity speeds.
Phastos: A complicated Eternal who is full of sorrow, has mixed feelings about fighting and is quite reserved compared to the others.
- Known as the master technologist who has created many weapons and inventions for the Eternals but often refuses to fight alongside them.
- He has the similar powers as the rest but shines as a genius technologist, inventor and engineer. (Set to be the first openly gay character in the MCU)
Sprite: An Eternal who’s unable to grow so looks like an 11 year old boy.
- He’s mainly known as being a trickster who messes with the other Eternals using his illusions and has pranked humans for centuries.
- His expertise comes with his illusions, and abilities to wipe minds and change people’s perceptions of reality.
Gilgamesh: Around since the Ice-Age, he’s one of the most powerful earth eternals and among the most physically strong Eternals to exist.
- The tissues in his body are much harder and resistant compared to any human and most Eternals.
- He is excellent at hand to hand combat and has learnt many combat methods.
Druig: (Lord of Flames and Nightmares) was the son of Valkin, and cousin to Ikaris.
- He’s described as a power hungry schemer, Druig was always a disappointment to his father.
- He can find people’s deepest fears and force people to experience these fears as a waking nightmare, using them to control their actions.
- Druig can also completely take over someones control of their own body.
When is Eternals set in the MCU?
While the main storyline is set after Avengers: Endgame, Eternals is set to lay the groundworks of the MCU.
Showing its beginnings and how it got to where it is now. The Eternals and Deviants have been around since the very beginning and the story is likely to explore many periods of ancient history.
What To Expect from The Eternals:
The lead characters of Eternals are set to be Gemma Chang’s Sersi and Kit Harington’s Dane Whitman (Black Knight).
The plot has been tapped to largely serve as a love story between a Sersi and Dane while also introducing Celestials, Eternals and Deviants and exploring their history and influence on the MCU.
It’s also interesting to know that it’s reported Chloe Zhao plans to shoot part of Eternals in 16mm Ektachrome film and big practical sets are being built which is already rather different compared to most MCU movies that shoot digitally and use mainly green screens instead of large sets.
Filming has now wrapped.
What It Means For The MCU:
It’s rumoured that The Eternals is Marvel’s clever way of introducing the Mutants and X-Men into the MCU.
For example, while the Humans weren’t given any powers like The Eternal’s were, it’s believed they still could develop them thousand of years after their creation with the X-Gene eventually activating.
The Eternals didn’t have too much of an affect on the Marvel Comics Universe and had quite a short run, this could be the same for the MCU unless audiences take to the characters well.
However, Eternals characters such as Sersi, Black Knight and another Eternal named Hercules do eventually join The Avengers which could well happen in the MCU.